Friday 21 February 2014

Day 12 - Bulahdelah and Dungog

Hi everyone,

50 years ago I starting writing to a pen friend - Kaye- who lived near Dungog, then moved into Dungog a couple of years later. I finally met her for the first time in 1990, but lost contact with her again. I contacted her again a few weeks ago ( after some "detective work"), knowing we would be in this area and we will be meeting up in the next week. I decided I would like to go to Dungog as I had never been there, so we set out this morning - it's only about 75 Kim's from Bulahdelah. The road was windy and rough again, but we seem to be getting used to these roads as we travel through the National Park areas. Closer to Dungog were these rolling green hills, and then the unusual tunnel under the train line. Dungog is an agricultural, grazing and timber area.








We arrived at Dungog and had lunch. We then went to the house where Kaye lived till she married. Her mother still lives there. We called in for a surprise visit and Kaye's eldest sister was visiting as well. They were so pleased to see us, as I was to meet them for the first time. We had a lovely couple of hours talking to them. Now I'm looking forward to catching up with Kaye and her husband.
Here I am with Kaye's sister and Mum.




This is a very narrow bridge just out of Dungog- definitely no passing or overtaking on this one!




Below is a beautiful heritage listed home in the main street of Dungog. It has been owned by only 2 different families since it was built in 1895. Local cedar has been used extensively throughout the house.



The main street in Dungog -




That's all for today,
Cheerio and love from Lesley and Peter.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment